Room Parent Volunteers
Room Parents play an important role for the teacher and classroom. Room Parents are involved with the activities in the classroom while making lasting connections with the teacher, other parents, and children. Room Parents help the teacher with various classroom events, as well as recruit other parent volunteers to help with various class and school activities. Ideally, each classroom would have 2-3 Room Parents to share the three main roles below.
- Parent Communications - communicates classroom and school messages via e-mail and phone with other parents
- Teacher Liason – checks in with the teacher on a regular basis in the classroom or via email
- Treasurer – manages classroom funds and reimbursements for parties
Room Parent Responsibilities:
- Attend Back to School Night and support teacher activities/special projects (volunteer schedules, e-mail lists, etc.).
- Find volunteers for Arts Alive, Dr. Seuss Read In as well as for the holiday classroom parties such as ( Halloween, Valentine's Day etc...) and End-of-Year parties.
- Organize Classroom basket for Rucker Fest in the Spring
- Recruit volunteers to work shifts for Book Fair.
- Communicate and manage costs for class fieldtrips with parents.
- Verify contents of the red emergency bag kept in the classroom for earthquake or other emergencies.
- Organize end-of-year gifts for the classroom teacher and aide.
Responsibilities and time commitment can vary by classroom and teacher. A typical Room Parent volunteer can expect to spend approximately 10 - 30 minutes a week at the start/end of the year and around classroom events.
If you are interested in being a Room Parent, or have questions, please contact Ashley Bortolussi